The install and configuration process for SmartConnect 21 is considerably different from earlier versions of the product. The installer itself has been slimmed down to provide a quicker install process, while a configuration tool has been added to give users additional setup options and control over the SmartConnect deployment.
For SmartConnect to properly function, there are a few base requirements that must be met:
- A 64-bit operating system is required, Windows 8.1 or Server 2012 or later.
- .Net 4.7.2 or higher for any workstation running any component of SmartConnect.
- IIS 8.0 or higher on the workstation running the API service.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or more recent release, or SQL Server Express.
- An internet connection is required during the configuration process. Perpetual licenses do not require an internet connection until the configuration process is ran again, subscription licenses will always require an internet connection for use of the product.
When the SmartConnect 21 installer is launched, it has one screen with 3 components available to be selected.
Each component provides different functionality:
- The main user interface for the integration platform.
- Should be installed on any machine where users will need to access SmartConnect itself.
- Windows Service
- This process handles any scheduling requirements within SmartConnect. This includes scheduled integrations, change data source cleanup routines and error log cleanup.
- Should be installed on a server or workstation that will remain active.
- API Service
- This process is used anytime a call is made to the SmartConnect web service.
- Real-time data sources, the Excel add-in, and Excel templates all utilize the API service.
- In order to successfully install and configure the API service, IIS is required to be enabled on the server.
If the Windows Service or API Service options are not marked for a workstation install, the subsequent configuration process will not display those options when completing the setup. This can be used to install different components to separate workstations within an environment.
Clicking Install will perform the installation of SmartConnect. When complete, the installer can be closed. Before launching the SmartConnect interface, the SmartConnect configuration process must be completed on the workstation.