Custom Integration Nodes Without Code
DISCOVER NODE BUILDER
NO eCONNECT NODE AVAILABLE?
eConnect is one of the most powerful and game changing products ever produced by Microsoft and it’s the engine we use with SmartConnect when connecting to Dynamics GP. Unfortunately, not every function and module in Microsoft Dynamics GP is supported by eConnect nodes. The good thing is that with Node Builder this is no longer a limitation. Node Builder lets the non-developer write complex data validating nodes that sit right inside eConnect. Just like how Extender takes the development out of adding screens to GP, Node Builder takes the development out of building an eConnect node.
WHAT IS A NODE?
An eConnect node is a specific stored procedure that knows how to populate a table or set of tables within Microsoft Dynamics GP. A node also contains all the business rules of Microsoft Dynamics GP that are applied if you were to update those tables through the GP user interface. A good node makes sure that all the data entered into Microsoft Dynamics GP via eConnect is valid.
CREATE YOUR OWN eCONNECT NODE
There are two ways:
- Become a software developer and SQL server guru, as well as Microsoft Dynamics GP expert – and write your own eConnect stored procedure to create and populate the SQL tables you need
- Use Node Builder. Node Builder is an easy to use interface that is a lot like SmartList Builder. Node Builder allows you to choose the tables you want to populate and then choose the fields that will be available to be populated with this node. Node Builder also lets you define your own rules about data validation. For example, you could check that an inventory item exists before you create a specific in transit inventory transfer.
You still need to be a Microsoft Dynamics GP expert to use Node Builder and have a good understanding of the table structure and the business rules from the front end. You do not need the ability to write code, however it helps to think like a programmer without being one.
WHAT NODES AM I MISSING?
- There are a number of big and small things within GP that are missing nodes.
- Little things like the inability to set EFT banking details when creating a creditor
- Bugs and issues in nodes that you need help to work around
- Modules like Manufacturing, parts of HR, Canadian Payroll, Parts of Field Service etc…
- Third party modules. ISV’s such as Key2Act (Wennsoft) and Binary Stream have built eConnect nodes that will work with SmartConnect.
- And many more…