With SmartList and SmartView, you can build out different favorites that can validate your data is correct before you do the closing. You can find things such as:
- Review Account Types (Balance Sheet / Profit and Loss) to be sure that they are setup properly so that the balances close out properly.
- Validate 1099 amounts based on your Transactions in Payables.
- Verify that you have Tax ID’s for all your 1099 Vendors.
- Find open Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable documents and ensure they should be open still.
- Review Discontinued or Inactive Items, On Hold Vendors, Inactive or On Hold Customers, Inactive Employees, etc to be sure they are all still set properly.
It is an older post, but one that is still very relevant, by Christina Phillips that outlines how to do some of these lists if you are interested. She has the steps for SmartList, but if you are using SmartView, the steps are about the same. You can view her blog entry here: https://dynamicsgpland.blogspot.com/2010/12/smartlist-and-year-end-love-story.html
There are also going to be things that you verify that the default SmartLists don’t show you. For this, you can use SmartList Builder to build out new lists so that you have them available for year end. We have seen it used for things such as building out detailed 1099 reports per vendor so that you don’t have to use the Inquiry window. eOne has a template for this built for you to pull in the Vendor information and then define the records 1099 Type and then allow you to display the 1099 Box Number which isn’t available on the default SmartList. You can also build out reports based on the 1099 values in the 1099 Details window.
If you are interested in the templates, you can find them on the eOne site at: http://www.eonesolutions.com/smartlist-builder/downloads/. Templates can also be imported into SmartList Builder directly on Microsoft Dynamics GP 2015 and 2016 by going to Microsoft Dynamics GP – Tools – SmartList Builder – Import and selecting the Import from Web tab.
While this is just an example of a few things we have seen SmartList/SmartView and SmartList Builder used for with year end, we are sure there are many more. If you have a list you use and want to share with the community, please feel free to do so here or let me know and we can build it out as a SmartList Builder template to add to the library for everyone to use.