Instructions for using multiple text files as a datasource in SmartConnect. Both files must be in the same windows directory in order for this to work.
1. Create your datasource as normal, however instead of choosing text file, select ODBC.
2. When in the ODBC Connections window, chose TextFile as the file type.
3. Uncheck the Use Current Directory checkbox and hit the Select Directory button.
4. Browse to the folder where both the files are located and hit OK
5. Hit the Option button, and then hit the Define Format button.
6. Highlight the file, and select the format. Hit the Guess button in the top right corner to get the column headers correct.
7. Before hitting OK, highlight the second text file, and select the format. Hit the Guess button in the top right corner to get the column headers correct.
8. Click OK and OK until you get back to the SmartConnect Datasource window.
9. In this window you can use standard SQL syntax to join the tables into 1 query. So for example: I have 2 text files, rm_header.txt and rm_line.txt.
The common column is CustomerID. In order to join them, your SQL statements would look like this.
select * from [rm_header.txt] a inner join [rm_line.txt] b on a.[CustomerID]=b.[CustomerID]
You can join as many tables as you wish as long as you use correct SQL syntax.