Skip to content
+1-888-319-3663

COMMUNITY FORUM

Unknown SQL type – -155.

Mike Welborn asked 3 years ago
We are moving the database for our application to a Windows Azure database (SQL as a Service).
In Smart Connect when I attempt to define my source ODBC connection I do so with Microsoft SQL Server 2014 – SQL Security.
When I attempt to validate the connection I receive the following message:
ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0][SQL Server]Invalid object name ‘<<my source table>>’.
I validate my permissions under my user account and confirm that I can access my source table through SSMS
So I updated the ODBC source connection – Clicked Options and selected my database. Now when I attempt to validate the connection I receive the following message:
Unknown SQL type – -155.
I know that SQL Azure doesn’t like the USE <<database>> command and I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the root of the problem.
However I can’t believe that I am the first to attempt to connect to a SQL Azure database but searching the forum I saw no reference to SQL Azure or Unknow SQL type — 155.
So Is is possible to connect to an Azure SQL database?
Answers
Ethan Sorenson Staff answered 3 years ago
Mike,

You are correct that we do have numerous customers using Azure for their SmartConnect database. The only known limitation, is that SmartConnect cannot create the database. So you will need to create the database in Azure first before running the SmartConnect installed and pointing it to the database.

First I would try restoring your existing database into Azure and pointing to that. If that doesn’t work, you can create a new database in Azure and point SmartConnect to the blank database.

Moving SmartConnect to a new server
Mike Welborn replied 3 years ago

My SmartConnect application didn’t move. It was my source database (containing my invoice source data) that moved to Azure SQL. The issue turned out to be the use of the dataetimeoffset field type in the Azure SQL table. Replacing that field type with datetime resolved the issue.

If you would like to submit an answer or comment, please sign in to the eOne portal.