Skip to content
+1-888-319-3663

COMMUNITY FORUM

Run Maps within GP2015

Renee asked 5 years ago
Hello!
Our client is upgrading from GP2010 to GP2015.  The users are used to accessing the Run Maps window directly within Dynamics GP.
I just wanted to confirm there is absolutely no way to bring back that same functionality in GP2015.  Users must log into SmartConnect directly to run the maps, right?
Can anyone enlighten me on why this change was made so I can put a positive spin on it when I talk with the client?
Also, this client does not have an entry in the Dynamics.set file for SmartConnect.  Should they?
I believe the only menu option that appears now within GP when SmartConnect is in the Dynamics.set file is the ability to refresh the cache.  Can you do that within SmartConnect such that no installations at a client need to have SmartConnect in the Dynamics.set file?
Thank you!
Answers
Patrick Roth Staff answered 5 years ago
Renee,
“Users must log into SmartConnect directly to run the maps, right?”
Correct.  SmartConnect is now 100% external application to Dynamics GP.

“Can anyone enlighten me on why this change was made so I can put a positive spin on it when I talk with the client?”

1. It wouldn’t work on the GP Web Client.  If there wasn’t an external version, there would be no way to run the application.
2. SmartConnect works on more than just GP.  We have customers who use it only for SalesForce, GP CRM, and other stuff outside of GP.

We could potentially have a specific “Inside GP” version and “external to GP” version but that is extra maintenance.  And if there is a “launch from GP” version, shouldn’t there also then be a “launch from NAV”, launch from “CRM” etc?  No.

“Also, this client does not have an entry in the Dynamics.set file for SmartConnect.  Should they?”

Not if you don’t need GP realtime triggers.

“Can you do that within SmartConnect such that no installations at a client need to have SmartConnect in the Dynamics.set file?”

No, that piece needs to be a Dexterity addin because Dexterity is the only application that can read the meta-data about tables/fields inside a Dexterity based dictionary.  You can install it on ONE machine if you like to run the cache.  After you run the create cache, you’re good until you install a new product (if you care about using it in smartconnect – you probably don’t).
patrick
eone

Renee replied 5 years ago

Very helpful as always. Thank you Patrick!

Doug Karel replied 5 years ago

We added a shortcut to SmartConnect on the users GP Home page for non-web client.

If you would like to submit an answer or comment, please sign in to the eOne portal.