Skip to content
+1-888-319-3663

COMMUNITY FORUM

Problems with installation to GP2013

Brian Huddleston asked 8 years ago
Has anyone else experienced an issue where the installation seems to have worked, yet when you navigate to SmartPost the links don't do anything?  Registration and Setup can be clicked, but there are no screens that are launched.
This is an installation to GP 2013 in a test environment, I haven't seen this behavior with our GP 2010 instance.
Any tips or tricks to see the screens?
Answers
Best Answer
Lorren answered 8 years ago
Brian,

This will happen if you don't have .NET Framework 3.5 installed on the client machine.

Thanks,
Lorren
Brian Huddleston replied 8 years ago

I verified that 3.5 was installed (both 32 and 64-bit versions are installed).
I uninstalled, removing the files that were in the KB.
We had GP2010 installed at one point on the same box, I went ahead and removed GP 2010 and then removed and reinstalled again.
The SmartConnect addin does pop a screen when the menu is selected. None of the SmartPost menu items work even though they are visible.

Brian Huddleston replied 8 years ago

Still haven't been able to get the registration or setup window to display. I thought it might be because I installed it on a 64-bit server so I used one of the few 32-bit client machines.  The problem persisted.  The machine had Windows 7 installed with .NET 3.5, installed SmartPost 2013 and it adds the code to GP 2013, the dictionary and addins get put in their respective places, SmartPost appears in the menu options. Yet it won't launch any of the windows at all.
No problems whatsoever with the GP 2010 installation, but I can't stay on 2010.

Ruaan Jonker replied 8 years ago

Hi Brian

This happens when SmartPost fails to initialize when Great Plains starts up.
Please check the event viewer to see if there are any errors after Great Plains is opened.
Event Viewer –> Applications and Services Logs –> SmartPost.
 
The main reason why SmartPost usually does not initialize, is that the SmartPost password in the configuration file is incorrect.

Please go to your Great Plains directory –> AddIns and open the “eOne.SmartConnect.GpAddin2013.dll.config” file in notepad.
Please make sure the password in this file is the actual password for the SmartPost SQL user.
If you are not sure what the SmartPost SQL user password is, you can change it in SQL and just change the value in the configuration file.
 
Thanks,
Ruaan
 

Donnette replied 8 years ago

Ruaan,

I am having the same exact problem on GP2010 sp3. I copied the password from the config file and pasted it to SQL's user. No change in behavior.

This is my third attempt to install and we have now upgraded to a 2012 windows server thinking th eproblem resided on the other server.

What else could be the problem? A bad dll?

THanks Donnette

Gianmarco answered 6 years ago
What was the resolution to this issue?
Stephen replied 5 years ago

I was able to fix this issue by updating the SQL password.

Andrew Shaffer answered 3 years ago
Hi,
     I’m running into this issue as well on GP2010 at a customer site.  I’ve doublechecked that .NET 3.5 is installed, and we verified the SmartPost user’s password.
None of the SmartPost “Setup/Registration/Processing/etc” menu items are doing anything.  There’s an event in the event log that seems to be repeating itself over and over.  It’s complaining that it can’t execute 
Update [SmartPOst_Postingroutine] set MaxPostTime = 0 where MaxPostTime is null
When I try to run that same SQL in the DYNAMICS database by hand, it can’t find that table name.
Thanks,
Andrew S.
Alejandro lopez replied 2 years ago

Try granting sysadmin privileges to Smartpost user, it worked for me.

Andrew Shaffer answered 3 years ago
Hi,
     I’m running into this issue as well on GP2010 at a customer site.  I’ve doublechecked that .NET 3.5 is installed, and we verified the SmartPost user’s password.
None of the SmartPost “Setup/Registration/Processing/etc” menu items are doing anything.  There’s an event in the event log that seems to be repeating itself over and over.  It’s complaining that it can’t execute 
Update [SmartPOst_Postingroutine] set MaxPostTime = 0 where MaxPostTime is null
When I try to run that same SQL in the DYNAMICS database by hand, it can’t find that table name.
Thanks,
Andrew S.

If you would like to submit an answer or comment, please sign in to the eOne portal.